Photobucket    Photobucket
 Elizabeth Tindall Taylor                                                                                        Mary Taylor

Photobucket    Photobucket Photobucket
  Rose                Gran Shoosmith               Barbara                   Marie

 Photobucket    Photobucket  Photobucket 
Liz                     Anne                Christine                     Susan

  Photobucket  Photobucket 
Christal                    Wendy

  Carolyn                              Joan                         Thalia

Bonnie                 Barb

All The Mums!
Wishing you a Happy Mothers Day
Remembering all the Mums no longer with us.

Love to you mum on Mothers Day

Animated Gif, Reflection,  Animation,  Blomster, Beautiful Animations, Animations, Roses, Animated Flowers,  Flowers, Beautiful Flowers, Flores, Animated Gifs, Animated Graphics, Color Splash, Rose, Reflections, Keefers Pictures, Images and Photos

NOTE: This header appears on EVERY page.
Scroll down to see topics or click on menu below.

General Discussion                      Daily Messages
How to Navigate Site                            How to Post Pics
Taylor History
                                     Mary & Ted Taylor
 Alex                                                                Edward
Elizabeth                                                             Anne
Wallis Family                                        Shoosmith Family
Homes & Locations                                          Family Art
Family Pets                                                 Memorabilia

Opens in new window

Back to General Discussion

Back to Home Page

This webset page was assembled on Thursday May 31, 2007 by Teddie Teddie with graphics from the public domain using one of the many auto-scripters available at Chat_Central_Gateway All rights reserved KENDOC 2005

TaylorFamilyInfo Aimoo Forum List | Ticket | Today | Member | Search | Who's On | Help | Sign In | |
TaylorFamilyInfo > FAMILY HISTORY > Taylor History Go to subcategory:
Author Content
  • Rank:Diamond Member
  • Score:1225
  • Posts:693
  • From:Canada
  • Register:11/07/2008 01:17 AM

Date Posted:03/04/2012 03:32 AMCopy HTML

Barnes, Jr, Thomas John

Born 1840. Died 1899.


Barnes, Jr. Thomas John
Born in Bethnal Green 1840.
Christened March 15 1840 in Bethnal Green.
2 sisters.
Md Emily (1847 - 1887).
4 sons & 3 daughters.
STUDIO: With his father, Thomas John Barnes Sr 422 Mile End Road, Stepney 1863 - November 1885.
Partnership (as Barnes & Son) dissolved November 20 1885 (London Gazette 1885 p 6214).
1861: photographer living at 3 Hope Place, Mile End Road, Stepney.
1881: photographer living at 122 Grove Road, Mile End Road, Stepney.
Freemason of Doric Lodge, joined from the Faith Lodge 141 July 13 1864.
County court judgement: July 7 1886 £16/2/6, May 7 1889 £24/19/2.
Involved in seduction case of Ann Taylor April - June 1866; case in court February 1868, Taylor won damages of £250. (Tower Hamlets Independent February 29 1868, East London Observer February 29 1868 p 3).
Accidentally shot and killed his wife Emily October 1887, while cleaning a faulty revolver. Acquitted of blame at inquest. (Echo Oct 17 1887).
Died in Bethnal Green 1899.


Photographer [List all] 1861

From the Illustrated London News September 14, 1872


The fire which destroyed the roof of the east end of Canterbury Cathedral, on Tuesday week, and which threatened the entire destruction of that venerable building, was mentioned in our last publication. It was caused by the upsetting of a pot of burning charcoal used by the plumbers employed to solder the leaden covering of the roof. The molten lead poured through to the woodwork below, and the roof in that part was soon on fire. It was then about half-past ten o'clock in the morning. The daily morning service had just concluded, but the choir had stayed behind to rehearse something for the afternoon. When he alarm was given he boys and lay clerks rushed from the building in their surplices, not knowing exactly the extent of the danger. The organ-blower in the meanwhile had the presence of mind to go to the tower and ring the great bell, thus making known to the city and neighbourhood something was amiss. Smoke and flames were soon seen issuing in volumes from that part of the east end of the roof near Beckett's crown, and by this time people were streaming into the precincts and viewing the conflagration in helpless dismay. It should be stated that two or three years ago very excellent waterworks were established in Canterbury, which are computed to supply the citizens with about 180,000 gallons per diem, from a reservoir on St. Thomas's-hill, and from which the service is continuous, at a pressure of 70lb to the square inch. Unfortunately, the Dean and Chapter, or their surveyor, had not yet got the hydrants of the water company fixed around the Cathedral; but the hose belonging to the Phoenix and Kent Fire Offices and to the City Volunteer Fire Brigade was of sufficient length to be affixed to the hydrants in the adjoining streets, and thence carried through the Cathedral yard to the burning building, the city brigade alone using 700 ft. for this purpose. Although the men belonging to the various brigades were on the spot as quickly as possible, it was not until twelve o'clock that any water could be got to touch the flames at all. Meanwhile the fire was gradually destroying the whole of the eastern roof. Indeed, up to this time so serious did matters look that the Vice-Dean, the Rev. Canon Thomas, telegraphed to Captain Shaw, of the steam fire-engines an order which, happily soon after had to be countermanded, as the flames were subdued. A telegram was also dispatched to Ashford for a further supply of hose, which was at once sent, with the Ashford Fire Brigade. About half-past eleven forty men belonging to the Cavalry Depot Brigade, under the command of Quartermaster Woods, and forty of the Royal Horse Artillery, marched into the precincts and rendered excellent service, both in assisting the local police to control the crowd and on the roof of the building. The hose from the Phoenix Office was the first to reach the fire, and immediately afterwards Mr. George Delassaux*, of the Canterbury Volunteer Fire Brigade, at considerable personal risk, broke his way though one of the small windows in the clerestory, and, dragging his hose after him, brought a second stream to play upon the flames. Meanwhile the burning timers, with the vane which stood at the east end, had fallen in upon the groined roof below, and sparks and molten lead were dropping through the Trinity Chapel and Beckett's shrine, at the rear of the altar. An army of volunteers was quickly pressed into service, and everything inflammable was removed from the choir, even the heavy communion-table being taken away, the altar rails torn up, and the armour and shield of the Black Prince removed from the tomb where they have hung for centuries. By one o'clock it became apparent that the force of water from the hydrants was getting the upper hand of the fire, just as it was in contemplation to cut a vast gap in the roof, and so arrest the flames. The soldiers were working well both with the hose and the axe, cutting away the burning timbers, and a two o'clock a ringing cheer went up from the men on the roof, which was heartily joined in by the crowd below, in token of the extinguishing of the fire.

The building is insured in the Sun Fire Office for £20,000, and the damage is variously estimated at from £3000 to £5000. At the spot where the fire took place is some of the most valuable stained glass to be found in the cathedral, but very fortunately none of this is injured. The beautiful mosaic pavement in front of Beckett's shrine, or St. Thomas's Chapel, has also escaped damage. But that portion of the roof which covered Trinity Chapel, at the extreme east of the edifice, extending to the canopy over the spot which indicates where once stood the shrine of St. Thomas a Beckett, and over the altar and choir, is entirely gone.

During the afternoon volunteer and other fire brigades entered the city from various neighbouring towns, but of course their services were not required. Archdeacon Harrison, Canon Thomas, and others of the cathedral body determined, shortly after the fire had been extinguished, not to abandon the afternoon service, which has been held daily without interruption during the past 300 years. To this end the immediate approaches to the building were thrown open and guarded by military and police in order that the dense volume of smoke might be allowed to escape. The hour of Divine service was altered from three to four o'clock, and at that hour, by dint of considerable exertions, the choir was made available for the accommodation of a large congregation. Archdeacon Harrision, who read the prayers, prefaced them by invoking the assembly to offer up thanks to God for his mercy in having saved the beautiful building from destruction. Subsequently a special Te Deum was solemnised, and the service throughout was of the most impressive nature.

By far the larger part of the present cathedral is the work of the Norman era, having been erected in the first half century after the Conquest, when Archbishop Lanfranc found the old cathedral in ruins, and "reconstructed from their foundation both church and monastery." Under his successor, Anselm, the eastern part of this edifice (which seems to have been only temporary in its design) was taken down and re-erected with great magnificence under the care of Ernulph, then prior of the monastery. It was finished by the next prior, Conrad, who decorated the chancel and eastern part with so much splendour that it came to be called "Conrad's glorious choir." The church was solemnly dedicated by Archbishop William, in A.D. 1130, in the presence of Henry I. of England, David King of Scotland, and all the English Bishops. It was in this building, as our readers are aware, that Beckett was murdered in A.D. 1170, and in the "choir of Conrad" his body was watched by the monks during the succeeding night. Four years later, on Sept. 5, 1174, this choir was burnt down; and we have a description of the conflagration from the pen of Gervaise, a monk of Canterbury, who was an eye witness of the event. The choir and eastern parts of the cathedral were rebuilt in 1184, the church having been closed several years. On the present occasion, we have reason to be thankful that the damage has been comparatively slight. Had the fire continued, not only "Beckett's Crown" and Henry IV.'s Chantry, and the Trinity Chapel, in which are the monuments of the Black Prince, Henry IV., Archbishop Courtenay, Cardinal Chatillon, and Dean Wotton would have perished, but the site of Beckett's shrine must have been entirely obliterated, together with the fine frescoes in the adjoining transept; an the tomb of Cardinal Pole, the last Archbishop interred in the cathedral, would have undergone the same fate.

Photographs of the effects of this fire were taken on the same day by Messrs. Barnes and Son, of Mile-end-road.;topic=74303.0

Good link for London photographers, it gave the dates Barnes traded at his two premises.   
Barnes, Thomas John, and Son

6 Bedford Place, Commercial Rd. E.

422 Mile End Road E.

It might help, especially if you can date the E/F Spalding of Chelmsford, I'm assuming it is Fred as he seems to be quite a famous Chelmsford photographer.  there are a couple of his photographs at this site, but they have a fancy name along the bottom instead of the plainer font as is on yours, I think that's the bit that needs dating.

TinLizzy Share to: Facebook Twitter MSN linkedin google yahoo #1
  • Rank:Diamond Member
  • Score:1225
  • Posts:693
  • From:Canada
  • Register:11/07/2008 01:17 AM

Re:Gran Taylor and mother photo details

Date Posted:03/04/2012 03:34 AMCopy HTML

Hutchings & Orchard


Hutchings & Orchard
Partnership between Thomas Hutchings & Elizabeth Orchard.
STUDIO: 756 Old Kent Road, Camberwell 1876 - 1882. Succeeded by Thomas Hutchings.

Back to General Discussion

Back to Home Page

Copyright © 2000-2019 Aimoo Free Forum All rights reserved.